IIRC the torsion bar on the 126 chassis is between two firewalls. 12.2 hours may be quite conservative. I don't know what labor rates are, but guessing at say $75 an hour, plus parts ($400 new, $100 used) this will run into some cash. On my 123 I ordered a used one from SoCal (rust-free) for around $75. If you are going with used parts, I would try to get them from the sun belt. TriStar Petes http://www.tristarpete.com/ and Sun Valley Mercedes Dismantlers http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/ come to mind.

Of course, as a first resort, try our list host Kaleb......
Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT