My buddy Dana in his weekly email provides lots of info about this:

First, the nuclear plant debacle continues to unfold. There are important lessons about how to avoid these types of train wrecks in the future, if we pay attention.

Both Governor Henry McMaster and Senator Lindsey Graham are publicly promoting the sale of Santee Cooper, our state-owned electric utility that was a 45% investor (with SCANA, at 55%) in the $9 billion hole in the ground in Jenkinsville. But, as this article from the /Post and Courier/ reports, although two companies have expressed interest, neither is “viable,” according to (now former) CEO Lonnie Carter.

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/santee-cooper-has-heard-from-companies-interested-in-joining-v/article_213370d2-86a8-11e7-a901-6707466a42ed.html

This next article begins to explain why no “viable” companies are interested.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/potential-santee-cooper-sale-moving-forward-buyers-sign-non-disclosure/article_43bd5ba4-88ce-11e7-8402-97b80d7317cb.html

From the article:

/Industry experts have said Santee Cooper's higher-than-average debt would make a sale challenging. The utility has $8 billion in debt — about half from the nuclear project — that would need to be refinanced. And because a private-sector owner wouldn't be able to offer investors tax-free returns like Santee Cooper can now, the buyer would face even higher costs./

I’ll add one more salient fact. Santee Cooper is insolvent. The agency’s liabilities are greater than its assets. In ordinary language, it is broke – under water – to the tune of at least $2 billion. Anyone who is interested, including our governor and our senator, can find this out by looking at the utility’s 2016 financial statements.

So a conventional “sale” is simply not going to happen. But something must be done, and it will probably look more like a fire sale and give away, where assets are stripped out and sold, including the incomplete nuclear plant, and some of the debt is taken over by the state. Under any circumstance, in one configuration or another, South Carolina taxpayers will be on the hook for billions of dollars in losses for years to come.

There was a time, not long ago, when the utility was on solid financial ground. Its financial decline occurred with extraordinary speed over the last decade, under the current management and most of the current board.

As this next article from the /Post and Courier/ reminds us, Santee Cooper’s abandonment of the nuclear project is not the first major miscalculation. Eight years ago, almost to the day, the agency threw in the towel on an ill-conceived coal plant on the Pee Dee River, after wasting a quarter of a billion dollars on land and plant parts.

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/lawsuit-seeks-to-force-santee-cooper-to-sell-off-scuttled/article_b9865e18-876f-11e7-ac54-0fa28ce1528d.html

All of this explains why, as this next article from the /Post and Courier/ reports, CEO Lonnie Carter has announced his retirement.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/santee-cooper-ceo-lonnie-carter-announces-retirement-amid-nuclear-reactor/article_028b009a-89a1-11e7-b6ea-c7d3c51a93d2.html

Finding a new CEO will be no mean feat.  From the article:

/Carter’s replacement will be tasked with running an agency with a pile of debt tied to the nuclear project and an uncertain political future./

Re: the nuclear plant. We are now in the blame-assignment phase. As I reported in my last news summary, there is a lot of blame to spread around – from the Legislature, who set the stage 10 years ago for shifting the costs and risks from SCANA management and shareholders to its ratepayers, (and now are shocked that the utility did exactly that), to the Public Service Commission members, who approved one rate increase after another as costs skyrocketed, to the boards of both SCANA and Santee Cooper, who failed to protect shareholders, rate payers and the public from apocalyptically bad business decisions, to, again, the Legislature, who created the little known Office of Regulatory Staff (ORS) to protect ratepayers and utilities (at the same time), but failed abysmally to do either.

As this article from the /Nerve/ explains, ORS had a job assignment that was impossible from the beginning. The creation of the new agency shifted the responsibility for oversight from the Office of Consumer Affairs where, according to the historical data, things were working fairly well.

https://thenerve.org/an-agency-that-doesnt-even-work-on-paper/

Says the Nerve:

/Clearly, the (old) system was working, despite the view that Consumer Affairs was underfunded. <http://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/bitstream/handle/10827/12162/DCA_Annual_Accountability_Report_2003-2004.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y> Why shift the representation of ratepayers to a new, conflicted agency that doesn’t even work on paper – unless that was the point? According to the House and Senate journals, not a single lawmaker spoke in opposition to Act 175 at any point in the legislative process./

//

That (creating an agency that spent more time doing the bidding of the regulated utilities than protecting the consumer) was exactly the point.

This final article, from today’s /Post and Courier/, provides an in depth look at how the plant construction proceeded over ten years, including stunning – almost unbelievable – revelations that plans for completion never existed, and that defective parts, work inefficiencies and “incompentence at every level,” plagued the project, and were largely ignored by management, from the beginning.

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/early-signs-of-incompetence-at-every-level-went-unheeded-as/article_b47acd2c-89a5-11e7-830a-9364c7e7b71b.html

From the article:

/The decade-long saga that led to the financial crisis now facing South Carolina is complex./

//

/It includes corporate-friendly politicians, an ambitious for-profit utility, an untested nuclear design, utility regulators who didn't raise questions, investors who had nothing to lose, a state-operated financial partner and a small state looking to be on the leading edge of a nuclear renaissance./

It is clear that no single change will avert future meltdowns of this sort – there are 20 or 30 things that must be changed.

The most important, and most difficult, is to end the too-close relationships between SCANA, a regulated monopoly, and the “corporate friendly politicians” who created the regulatory system and decided who would run it.

Re: Santee Cooper… the problem boils down to a massive public agency run by unaccountable insiders with carte blanche to do whatever they want with public assets. Even the fig leaf of SCANA oversight afforded by the Office of Regulatory Staff and the Public Service commission is absent with this now insolvent authority.

South Carolina is an unusual place. We consider ourselves politically conservative, and if electing Republicans indicates a belief in minimal government intervention and the power of free markets, we express that at the ballot box.

But we tolerate, and embrace, a political and economic system that more closely resembles something from Eastern Europe than Adam Smith’s “Wealth of Nations.” We are a place where major commercial sectors, notably transportation and energy, are either state-owned, and controlled by a small clique of political leaders, or where laws confer extensive protections and economic benefits on a few private corporations, whose campaign contributions flow back to said elected officials.

This political structure is best described as a “corporate state,” a form of government that has been criticized for the past century for exactly the types of abuses we are experiencing today. This is the fundamental problem we must correct, and the reason change will be so difficult. But if we ever had a shot at reform, it is now.