We had over 11” in one day a couple of weeks ago when the low pressure system
that never developed into a hurricane hovered over the west coast of Florida.
Not a big deal for the most part.

In a hurricane, unless you’re perilously close to the eye wall, rain comes in
“bands” as the arms of the hurricane pass over.  That means the rain isn’t a
constant deluge, it comes and goes sometimes with hours in between.  For that
matter, the weather can be weirdly pleasant between these rain bands as well,
with bright sun and clear skies.

-D