They are both the same thing, an air filter on the oil return pipe that used to run from the air filter to the oil pan. It was put on to keep dirt out and become the new blow-by exit since he blocked the old one on the valve cover when he took out the original air filter to allow more dirt... ah make that air into the intake. In the first picture it is new and in the second it looks older. The air filter is in the second picture lower left. You can just see it.

Craig via Mercedes wrote:
On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 08:23:48 -0400 MG via Mercedes