I just checked with a buddy who is at the NOAA station in Ruskin (Tampa’s
NEXRAD radar site) and he checked the closest ground station data he could
find, which was Leesburg, FL.  The ground station only samples every three
hours, and the heavy precipitation interrupted the satellite uplink early in
the morning, but at 8:00 am this morning and in the three hours previous gusts
were in excess of 50 kts/hr.

Considering that these guys are running on empty after a couple of days on a
major adrenaline rush, I thanked him profusely and told him he needed to go
home… he said his shift was over at 19:00 and he was looking forward to it…

-D