Thanks Tom. You are fortunate to have that 240 with those low miles. Mine,
at 121k when purchased, seemed to be a great thing - "just a baby" - someone
said.  And it certainly would seem that your 300 was a good experience too.

Actually I have already R&R'd the starter and it was very simple. The only
problem, in fact, was physically extracting the thing from the engine
compartment. The first time I did it I struggled a good while but got it.
The second time I failed to get it lifted out, even though I rotated it like
I did before. Fortunately, the engine was shot and it was no problem to just
go ahead and yank off a radiator hose to gain clearance. No AT dipstick tube
to worry about for me.

The only other problem with the starter R&R will be telling wife that it
needs it. Heck it'll get her broken in for when I have to say that we should
get the suspension checked out. (on this vehicle that was mostly my idea and
was supposed to be such a good thing for us to do)

One way that I like to look at it is that one can either make car payments
like 90% of the population does, OR drive something older with more
character that will probably need periodic repairs. But compare these bills
with car payments that are guaranteed to be coming in the mail. Another
benefit of driving something older and more unique is that you are not
likely to see half a dozen other drivers each day driving exactly what you
have. In fact, if you do run into someone who is driving what you have, it
is an occasion to smile and wave.

Brian
83 240D