Some of you might remember the cache of very old (2006) Macbook Pro laptops I
found at work awhile ago. Since I STILL haven't gotten a replacement (9 weeks
yesterday) for my dead work laptop I carry one of them when I travel.I've been
using Lubuntu linux which is a lightweight Ubuntu distro. It works acceptably
well but takes a long time to boot and runs the fan in the computer HARD.
Today I took a spare machine and installed antiX which is the lightweight of
Mephis, based on Debian. So far results are positive, this machine has 2GB of
RAM while the other has 4GB and this one boots faster and seems to run more
smoothly. Its using IceWM for a window manager which I think is the magic to
being so lightweight.So far everything I want to do works, I can get online,
check email, watch Youtube, go to Reddit, etc. Later on I've got some graphics
to edit, I'm going to install Gimp and give that a go.
I'm sold. They claim antiX will run on a PIII, this thing is a powerhouse by
comparison...

-Curt