Here’s what I do to prevent that from happening:

I have a separate checking account I use for nothing but online purchases.
It’s linked to my PP account and funded by me electronically when I buy
something through a transfer from another account at my credit union. If I
receive payment via PayPal, I immediately transfer the money out of the account.

No CCs linked to the account, either.

So in a situation like yours, PP can come back all they want, but the well is
dry.  I actually had this happen on an eBay sale a few years back, I don’t
recall the exact details, but it was after they changed their policies to
become buyer centric.  I think it was a for a part off my W140 S500 coupe.  The
buyer screwed up and realized he bought the wrong part - it was a window
regulator for a W140 coupe, which are stupid expensive.  Mine was for the
passenger door, and they needed a driver’s door regulator.

It was probably a couple of months after the auction when it came up, and I was
caught totally off guard by it.  I had disclaimered the crap out of the
auction, so it was tough beans for the buyer.  They cried big tears to both
PayPal and eBay, saying the auction description was incorrect (it wasn’t.)  I
pulled a copy of the auction, a screen shot of the EPC with the correct part
number and description, presented it for the dispute on file and told both
parties to piss off.

Two days later I get an email from eBay saying they’re suspending my accounts,
as they tried to ding my PP account for the return and it came up dry. I told
them that was fine with me, as I wasn’t returning the money.

Never heard a word after that.  About a month later my accounts were
mysteriously reactivated.

Just for grins I asked my credit union about this kind of stuff.  They just
said that if there’s no money in the account and it’s not linked to other
accounts for overdraft protection if someone presents a transaction for payment
they just deny it.  No harm no foul for the account holder.

-D