IMO, once a business gets established, like the major banks and Sears, etc., they fail to innovate to much out of fear they'll destroy their business model, plus (a BIG plus) is few understood the affect the internet would have on the economy and the way we do business.  I think this year will see the internet selling more Christmas gifts than the brick and motor stores.   I don't know for a fact, but I think banks used to charge a fee to do electronic transfers - as much as $25 perhaps.  Paypal charges me and it's not insignificant - had a $350 charge yesterday and the PP fee was around $10.  A bargain for what they offer - no risk of bad checks, counterfeit MO's, and all the other scams going around.

LarryT