Dan,
I have had a P22 for several years and it's a sweet little pistol.  Mine is
plain black and I paid too much but ammo is cheap.  Like all semi's, some ammo
(like subsonic) will not work but Remington Golden Bullets always worked for
me.  There is a lot of info online about tweaking this model, for example:
https://www.gunfactory.ch/download/Walther_P22_bible.pdf
Some of the tweaks are worthwhile improvements.
The barrel is fixed to the frame so disassembly is a bit nonstandard and
reassembly normally requires a tool, like a piece of cleaning rod, to align the
recoil spring while you work the slide back into place.  The slide is some kind
of light weight material that's softer than steel or aluminum so minimize
tripping the slide release to avoid unnecessary wear.
Overall, the P22 is not a serious defensive weapon but its fun for practice and
plinking and the grip size is good for smaller hands.
If moving up to a larger caliper, I'm pleased with my S&W shield for concealed.
 I love my CZ 75 but I find the grip a bit wide for my hands.  I also have a
P95 and M&P 9, but I don't have any favorites in full-size 9mms.
Scott