True.  It could have totally crapped out and that would be ugly.  Not so for
me, as I can do a Navy shower if necessary.

I’m just trying to decide whether or not to go with the heat pump water heater
($1200) or a conventional electric heater ($600-$700).

The hybrid heater will pay for itself in a year or less, along with lowering
temps in the garage since it’s working like an AC unit in reverse and dumping
cold air into the garage.  There is also a tax credit for it this year, too.
I’m just concerned about reliability and the controls - if they flake out
nothing happens.  At least with a conventional water heater you can still have
one element working (like mine right now) and get some warm water.

Anyone out there have one of these heat pump water heaters, or know someone who
does?  I’ve looked at them closely over the past 4-5 years and they seem to be
pretty reliable.  A O Smith seems to be the leader as far as sales.  GE was
doing them but I don’t see them any more.

-D