> heat pump water heater ($1200) or a conventional electric heater
> ($600-$700).

Odd.  I _just_ replaced mine.  50-gallon Rheem conventional electric.
 $400.  (22 years ago I spent $300 on the same thing.)  They offered an
intriguing stainless-steel option at around a 50% premium, but the 2-week
delivery time was a deal killer.

The hybrid heater will pay for itself in a year or less...There is also a
> tax credit for it this year

That's pretty compelling, how trustworthy is that payback figure?  If your
numbers are good, the hybrid can pay for its entire _replacement_ in only
two years, against your other option.  Is it likely to last two years?

I’m just concerned about reliability and the controls - if they flake out
> nothing happens.  At least with a conventional water heater you can still
> have one element working (like mine right now) and get some warm water.

A valid concern.  But, it's a _hybrid_ heater.  There's still a
conventional element or two in there.

-- Jim