Why would the Prius not run on the big battery? I would have thought you could run around on the electric system and get the motor started up while moving if the start battery gave up. I don't expect you mean you went to FLAPS for the big battery to be replaced.

Secondly, how did you know the master cylinder had gone out? On my 115 300D, it went out a couple of years ago. I was at a stop light and the car moved forward a bit. I thought I must not have had my foot on the break pedal hard enough but then the light changed and off I went. At the next light, I stepped on the pedal and the car slowed but not like it should have. I initially thought I must have blown a hose and there would be leaking fluid at one of the wheels but that proved not to be the case. Seals in the master had started to leak and let fluid by. I messed about getting a kit to repair it but gave up and ordered a new one (or rebuilt - cannot recall for certain). No problems since.

RB