Randy Bennell wrote:
> Why would the Prius not run on the big battery?

Gerry wrote:
I'm still learning the various systems catch as catch can, so I may be wrong on
some systems:
The little battery, 12v, runs nearly everything but the electric A/C. It is
charged by a large liquid cooled inverter (they call it a converter) that drops
about 200v from the big battery down to 14v which charges the little 12v
battery. Since the little battery runs the computers, the spark
plugs,everything needed to run the ICE which charges the big battery, brake
boost, steering assist, and various other things needed to actually drive the
car; you can't turn the car off and then start it again if the little battery
is dead or won't take enough of a charge from another cars battery via cables
to start the car.

 I would have thought you
> could run around on the electric system and get the motor started up
> while moving if the start battery gave up. I don't expect you mean you
> went to FLAPS for the big battery to be replaced.

G: I thought the same thing when I was thinking about buying the car, but all
you can do if the ICE quits is maybe limp at a very low speed to the next exit
or until the big battery is drained which doesn't take long.
I don't think the little battery will ever shut off the car such as in the
middle of traffic while the converter is feeding voltage since the converter
and the little battery are in parallel. As long as the car is "on" you could
theoretically completely remove the little battery and the car should run
indefinitely as long as you didn't shut it off, but I don't know if that would
be possible. The car wasn't designed with any provision for switching from the
ICE to battery. One reason is that the big battery is entirely different from
the batteries that power the all electric cars.
P.S. New big batteries come from the dealers, but you can buy rebuilts for a
little more than half price. New big batteries can last ten years or longer.
Mine is ten years old and shows no sign of failing.

> Secondly, how did you know the master cylinder had gone out?

G: The pedal went half way down to the floor, there was no leaking brake fluid
that I could see, and the reservoir was still full. Could I be wrong about
that? Yep, sure could, but the MC is pretty old and probably wouldn't last much
longer anyway, and I'd need expert help from the listers here to figure out
what caused it other than the MC.

 On my 115
> 300D, it went out a couple of years ago. I was at a stop light and the
> car moved forward a bit. I thought I must not have had my foot on the
> break pedal hard enough but then the light changed and off I went. At
> the next light, I stepped on the pedal and the car slowed but not like
> it should have. I initially thought I must have blown a hose and there
> would be leaking fluid at one of the wheels but that proved not to be
> the case. Seals in the master had started to leak and let fluid by. I
> messed about getting a kit to repair it but gave up and ordered a new
> one (or rebuilt - cannot recall for certain). No problems since.
> RB

G: AFAIK All cars nowadays have two circuits; one stops the front wheels and
the other stops the back wheels. When one fails the pedal will go half way down
and the car won't stop as well. I've forgotten how the master cylinder is
designed to do that since I've just replaced the whole master cylinders for
years.
Gerry

> On 13/12/2017 2:34 PM, archer75--- via Mercedes wrote:
> > Thanks, Rick. I'll keep that in mind. Could have used it a couple weeks ago
> > when the Prius battery died, and then when I headed to the store to buy
> > groceries, the brake master cylinder went out on the 240D. Managed to limp
> > home but was without a car until I got the Prius started with a lawnmower
> > battery and made it down to FLAPS for a new battery.
> > Now on my way to install the master cylinder which just arrived.
> > Gerry
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:28:18 +0000
> > Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Gerry a‎sks:

> >> Yes. It's called "Prime Pantry" and they fill a giant box with your
> >> "stuff". BTW, it's peak season for shippers. I try not to order anything
> >> online for delivery between Thanksgiving and New Years day.
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/pantry/info/ref=pntry_wayfind_about
> >>
> >> Rick

---
http://www.avg.com