Assuming it is in really nice shape but needs an engine is 2k too much for one of these?  The last SL I had was a 77 or 78 that would somewhat run but had a fuel issue, and interior needed recovered, need a soft top, and probably needed paint.  I paid 600 for it, brought it home, I got it running for a minute then it sat around.  I decided I was never going to mess with it and sold it for 1k.