Vehicle Master Inquiry

Any time an MB touches a dealer, no matter how minor, even if no work is
performed, it’s recorded.  The dealers use the VMI to “see” the history of the
car as it relates to Mercedes.  My 1998 W210 wagon had an eight page VMI.  The
text on these is really small, like maybe 10 point font, so there’s a lot of
information on eight pages.  That means that the car “saw” a dealer a LOT.

If you go to a dealer and ask to see a VMI it’s likely you’ll get a blank stare
or a refusal, even if it’s your car, as VMIs are internal MB documents.  My
dealer is pretty cool about them and if you’re the owner will share them with
you.  There’s nothing secret on them, in fact, a great deal of the entries
don’t even have explanations or very few details, as everything is coded to
operation numbers.  Where there are text entries it does give you some insight
into the operation that was performed.  Most importantly for MB, warranty work
is listed in the VMI in detail.

-D