CBT.... Clean, Bright, Tight ..... is the rule.

When you take the cable clamps off, look for black oxide coating on the
posts and cables. This material is apparently the greatest insulator known.
It kills battery connection completely.

Once clean, I always coat the posts with dielectric grease. Seems to
preserve the surface nicely.