..it pours.

Tuesday morning I get a call from spousal unit.

“My car won’t start and the battery is dead!”

Hmm.  Just put a brand new battery in the car a month ago.  Strange.

So she makes alternative transportation arrangement for work, and oldest son
goes out and puts charger on the battery for me so I can check things out when
I get home.  Oldest son texts me shortly after:

“When I hook up the charger I can hear the AC blower running.  It’s on even
with the key and the ACC turned off.”  (He knows about REST - good boy!)

Hmm. Told him to disconnect the charger.  Ordered a fan controller, assuming
that it’s shorted out and leaving the fan running all the time.

Fast forward to this morning.  I’m on the highway on my way to work and all the
sudden the display on my W210 wagons starts going berserk.

“Check Engine Electronics - Check Engine” and an accompanying CEL.  Poop.
Continue on, as car is running fine.

Stress and fret all day, assuming the worst.

Get home, jump into some work clothes and get out the SDS.  Hook it up to the
W210 wagon and run diagnostics. P0400 error. Whew!  So now I need to see if
I’ve got a bum hose or a clogged up EGR.  Could be a MAP issue, but unlikely.

So since I’ve gotten all grungy, I figure I’ll poke around on the R129 and get
it ready to pull the blower housing for when the fan controller comes in.  So I
disconnect the blower at the connector behind the brake booster, as I’m going
to pull the yellow (control) wire out of the harness and hook everything else
up to see if the fan still runs to confirm the controller is stuck on.  I
notice that there’s a bunch of corrosion around the connector, so I pull
everything apart and give it a good dose of DeOxIt.

I pull the filter from the blower housing so I can see the fan turn, and I plug
the blower harness back in with everything in place.  No blower.

So it would appear that the blower controller was triggering due to the
corrosion on and around the connector. Dang it.  Oh well, at least it’s working
so I can get the spouse back in that car.

Then I look down in the blower housing, and guess what?

Yup, the strap that holds the motor in place is broken, as they all do.

So I’m pulling everything apart tonight to fix that and I’ll be done with it
and can tear into the W210 and see what causing the P0400.

I wonder why all this stuff happens at the same time….

-D