Yeah it has 4 codes, 2 for I think #5&6 glow plugs and 2 others I forget what
they are. I have to look at that again. I think they might have been associated
with the GP issue. Air filter looked pretty new and clean so I think it is
breathing ok.

I took it out yesterday and it is running pretty well now after the issues
getting it to start and run at first. I’m wondering if this is still an EGR
issue until it warms up. First run on the road the tranny wants to hold first
gear up pretty high rpm but then shifts into second and then sorts itself out
and is fine. Maybe a tranny fluid change is in order.

I took it out this evening and it is starting and running mostly ok with just a
bit of roughness and an occasional “miss” at idle. Did the shifting thing again
but then was fine after that initial issue. I’m wondering if it is vacuum?  I
don’t know enough (I.e., pretty much nothing) about this car to know how it
(doesn’t) works. Maybe it’s some nanny unhappy about something, or something
related to the codes.

It was running better, I was thrashing it pretty hard and it seemed to get
better running. Makes sense I guess, probably wasn’t driven too hard. The thing
is pretty quick, has tons of torques and really gets up and goes. Acceleration
seems to have a few rough spots and minor stumbles, and feels like it isn’t
happy until the turbo really gets spun up. But even so it is quite
entertaining. Steering is really tight, RF shock might be getting a little
clunky, the new bushings took care of the steering issue real cheap and easy.
The new kumho tars seem ok on a first try, at least they held up to some
vigorous exercise.

I noticed it has this big exhaust canister just downstream of the turbo, some
sort of soot filter or catalyst or something?  Maybe that’s clogged up and the
thrashing is helping clean it out?

Maybe it just needs to be driven hard and get the goobers cleaned out. I’ll be
driving it more and will keep thrashing it. I keep telling myself I’ve got less
that $1k into it now so it can just be a fun beater. Aside from the crunched
front fascia its doesn’t look bad and is in pretty decent general condition so
I feel torn about that.

AC is not cooling, I need to pull a vacuum on it and see if it more or less
holds. If so I’ll squirt some 134 in it and see if that works. A few other
cosmetic things need to be fixed up, I need to hit the knacker soon and see
what random bits I can find.

I also ordered some liqui moly injector cleaner (the stuff you run through
directly) and some fuel tank additive so will try that too.

The fun of a cheap Benz!

--FT
Sent from iPhone