OK let's change this topic to a discussion of "turbocharging and installing
a roll bar on a 2005 Miata".

My son says you can purchase well-documented kits to do these mods. with
ordinary tools and ordinary mechanical aptitude, and wants me to do it with
him.  This will presumably foster father-son bonding.  My question is...
has the child gone mad?  Isn't this something one should trust solely to
professionals who do this for a living?  The work is supposed to take a day,
and he would save $2k in labor charges.  The work would be done in SWMBA/O's
car port, so I am naturally fearful of disabling the Miata and keeping her
nice 85 300CD out in the rain... to my detriment.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.