Thanks Peter!  I have the Tuning Fork type and the clamp type (not sure of its real name).  Knowing these details really help me plan if it will be something I want to attempt.  So far, it's looking good...  ;-)

So as long as I put a jack or jack stand under the spring there's no danger of it popping out?  I think I know the answer is "Correct" but like to get confirmation from others.

No. No plan to remove the spring - if it ain't broke....

re: tightening the links with the tire jacked up to normal height - I hate to admit it but while I know of the reqmnt to have the car on level ground, I had not thought about raising the tire with a jack to get there!  As always, I appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks again,

LarryT