To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] timing chain rail pins OM603

Thanks for the quick reply. I just finished that beer and am going out
to have another crack at it. Yes I did try tapping it in to get it
moving but I think it is already bottomed out. I don't think I can get
the head off without taking the rail out. unless maybe I break the
chain. It is less than 2 degrees stretch though and I didn't borrow
the chain tool. I'm going to try to sneak a real dent puller past the
condensor and go for it. I bet the bolt snaps.

Bob

you wrote:<<my standard method of stacking nuts and
washers and progressively tightening a center bolt>>

Hi Bob,
   By golly - that's *my* favorite method too!!  As far as breaking the
lower pin loose, have you tried to tap it (gently) with a punch to force it inward? I know it's the wrong direction, but it may break it loose. You've
tried all the alternatives --

Other than that, does the rail *have* to be changed?  ;-)

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info