Back when I had an '85 190D with a noisy rear diff I was told by several shops
that Mercedes diffs were special and required special tools. This was borne out
by my investigation of the job. I ended up buying another car as mine was
pretty rusty anyway...
-Curt

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 4:01:35 PM EDT, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> On Tue,8/7/18 18:47, Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes wrote:
>> Anyone know of a shop that rebuilds rear ends? I'm putting a wavetrac
>> lsd
>> into a 91 500sl diff. Apparently pretty straightforward except some
>> of the
>> shims are nla so need to grind down to suit. Pinion does not need to
>> come
>> out.
>>
>> Anyone rebuild one of these things? It is non asr non lsd now. Going
>> into
>> the 124.
>>
>> Thanks
I would suggest that you look close to home. Any shop that does custom
and hot-rod type work should be able to set up a differential.
My younger son is a mechanic and he did them when he worked for a shop
that did custom work. Not that difficult once you learn the basics.

This is the shop that he used to work with. http://sandalefabrication.com/

He now works for a government agency doing mostly fleet maintenance. Not
as much fun but better pay and a pension etc.

RB