When we lived in Gloucester, the power company was using aluminium lugs
which failed in the salt laden air, causing flickering of the lights.
The repair tech said that the old bronze lugs never failed, company
cheap-out? Who knew?
Fred.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 9:20 AM Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I had that happen when I installed a new temporary panel and Main
> disconnect when I was building my addition. Used new equipment that worked
> fine for some period of weeks then the same thing started happening one
> night. Went out to check the main shutoff that fed the temp panel for the
> construction and the main panel in the house and could see blue light
> flashing from inside the disconnect box. Next morning the power company
> guys came over and shut off power at the pole so we could look at the
> disconnect. Turns out the lugs to the breaker were not tight from the
> factory so after awhile they loosened up enough to where they were not
> making good contact and the electrons were arcing across the intermittent
> bad connections thus causing the flickering.
>
> Shut off your main disconnect and go into your panel and make sure all
> those connections are good and clean and tight in there (do you have
> aluminum wiring? That can oxidize and Al oxide is a poor conductor).
>
>  If that doesn’t fix it then you might need the feed shut off to do the
> same in the main disconnect. Then if that doesn’t work it is probably a bad
> main breaker or something on that one leg feeding the circuits showing the
> problems.
>
> --R
> Sent from iPhone
>
> > On Sep 28, 2018, at 8:37 AM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > Get up this am and half the lights were flickering, as if there was a
> very brief and regularly repeating voltage drop every 1/2 second or so.
> It's something you notice, then you aren't sure it's really happening, then
> you go to a room that isn't affected and you can see the difference.
> >
> > I cycled all the breakers and it seemed to go away, walked the dog and
> when we got home it was happening again.
> > Time to replace the main breaker?
> > Something wrong with the utility feed?
> >
> > Mitch.

Fred Moir