TIme for power upgrades.

I tried to drive Allen yesterday morning and found her dead as a rock.  I
figured I could give her a jump with Polei, being diesel to diesel, but all I
got after five minutes of electrons flowing over what now seems to be overly
fine wire gauge (maybe I need to invest in 00) was a wincing shrug of an
attempt by the starter.  Screw it, I had Polei running, so I took her.

I got home post game and tossed the sears charger (smart 2/10/50) at 2amp at
the battery.  I just installed the group 49 in June, battery born 4/18, so was
bewildered that the battery was non responsive.  Three hours of two amps made
no impact on the battery, so I popped it to 50 amp start mode and gave it a
chance to put some electrons back in the box.  No avail.  No action at all from
a turn of the key.  And, the charger was pretty warm, it was getting dark, and
I was not interested in messing about with electrons in the rain.  The charger
and battery came inside and I put it to charge low and slow over night.

No electrons in the box this morning and just a warm charger.  Multimeter found
2.8v in the battery and no voltage from the charger.  This forced me to unhook
the battery tender widget from the R107 and put the battery on that.  The
Diehard charger just moans and gets warm with no lights or needle action, nor
expulsion of electrons out the clamps.

I have the receipt for the battery, and will visit the vendor if she does not
take a charge.  What I would like is the group consensus on replacement charger
for my gaggle of group 49 batteries.  All are fairly new (under 18 months).  I
am tempted to get a wheeled charger with ability to jump a cold winter battery
at this point.  Or, should I get a standard Schumacher set up for $75 with low
and high amp?  What of a few of the low cost things and just keep them under
the hood of each car?

clay monroe
redgh...@comcast.net