ostensibly to extend the life of the idler bearing on an M 606 beyond a mere 200-250k miles or ~20 years. With a cost of ~20 if you change the bearing or what? ~$60 if you replace the assembly? I think the last assy I bought cost $5 but it was used... While the clutched pulley gives little warning, and the idler bearing can give years or 10s of thousands of miles warning. Give me an 87 300SDL or 87300D please! Keep the accountant designed junkboxes.

In the meantime the clutched pulley owner spent $80 for 2 pulleys, and $200 for 2 tows and untold frustration and costs of being stranded.

Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 7, 2018 at 2:23 PM
It balances out the impulses from the engine and the inertia of the alternator. Theres a video on YouTube somewhere that highlights why the pulley is useful, without an overrunning pulley the belt flaps all over the place, with the overrunning pulley its much smoother.
-Curt