What kind of horse power boost does intercooling and/or water injection add?

Trampas

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dave M.
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Water injection on OM603 - update

Hi Johnny,

   The idea isn't to shoot water into the combustion chamber, which
would quench combustion and decrease power. The idea is to shoot
liquid into the piping hot compressed air stream, where it evaporates,
and the evaporation process cools the intake charge. Also, the idea is
to inject a water/methanol mix (approx 50/50), which offers a lower
evaporation temperature, and possibly adds a little fuel?

The baseline was from the sellers of the injection kits, based on
estimated HP output. I started with 3gph which did basically nothing,
and now 5gph at least does something (although I didn't have an IAT
gauge to measure the temps with the smaller nozzle). I can keep going
up in size until a power loss is felt, at that point there is too much
liquid going in and I'd need to turn it down. It's also controlled by
a boost switch, so it won't engage until my pre-set level of approx
10psi.

I've not tested the stock manifold at all, but you can see it is quit
restrictive by design... the Euro cars have a much better manifold. I
have no means to flow test it, but I can try to connect a pressure
gauge and measure backpressure pre-turbo. If more liquid drops IAT's
significantly, but EGT's remain high, backpressure will be my next
data point to measure. In theory, it should not be more than double
boost pressure (14psi boost, 28psi max backpressure pre-turbo).

The Finns are the ones who gave me the idea in the first place, lol...
I'm also signed up on their forum. They have an English section if you
want to join... but so far, they all use massive intercoolers, and
don't bother with water injection.

Bumper - I need an AMG front bumper for a W124, specifically the late
(Gen 2) style with the triangle-shaped fog light holes. Photos of the
one I need are on mh website, courtesy of Aaron.

:-)

-dm