Update on my tumbler saga: After having the dealership try to ship the
correct tumbler replacement to a wrong address, I re-gave them the correct
address, and I finally saw it tonight. It looked right this time, I popped
it in in 10 seconds, and it is a fit!

Here's the beauty: It came with a key! The incorrect one they sent me at
first did not come with a key, and as some of you may recall, I was quite
puzzled over that.

Here's the problem: The problem was NOT the tumbler. I was quickly able to
get the column to lock me out after installing the new tumbler. Fortunately
my patented "kicking, turning, and twisting" technique got it unsiezed
before too long.

Oh well, at least I have two new dealer-cut keys now.

But I still have to jump through a hoop to ensure no lock-outs. This
consists of: When I arrive at my destination, I find the mid-point in the
slop of the wheel and hold it there. Then I - in a split second - turn that
key back to the zero position and back to position one, thereby satisfying
the requirement that it be completely turned off before allowing starter
engagement again. I then leave it in position one - ready for the next start
- and lock the doors. (or if in a bad neighborhood, go ahead and remove
tumbler).

Brian
83 240D