Brian, you need to lube the column lock.  I had the exact same issue with my CD
when I replaced the tumbler.  Squirted a little Marvel Mystery oil into the
column lock, and it works as new now.

Luther

~Update on my tumbler saga: After having the dealership try to ship the
~correct tumbler replacement to a wrong address, I re-gave them the correct
~address, and I finally saw it tonight. It looked right this time, I popped
~it in in 10 seconds, and it is a fit!
~
~Here's the beauty: It came with a key! The incorrect one they sent me at
~first did not come with a key, and as some of you may recall, I was quite
~puzzled over that.
~
~Here's the problem: The problem was NOT the tumbler. I was quickly able to
~get the column to lock me out after installing the new tumbler. Fortunately
~my patented "kicking, turning, and twisting" technique got it unsiezed
~before too long.
~
~Oh well, at least I have two new dealer-cut keys now.
~
~But I still have to jump through a hoop to ensure no lock-outs. This
~consists of: When I arrive at my destination, I find the mid-point in the
~slop of the wheel and hold it there. Then I - in a split second - turn that
~key back to the zero position and back to position one, thereby satisfying
~the requirement that it be completely turned off before allowing starter
~engagement again. I then leave it in position one - ready for the next start
~- and lock the doors. (or if in a bad neighborhood, go ahead and remove
~tumbler).
~
~Brian
~83 240D