On 27/11/2018 2:10 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
On November 27, 2018 at 2:59 PM Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

Maybe. Timing belt done is a plus.
They do have head gasket issues, but I don't know the years affected off hand.
The problem with the quote below is that I know the 1.6L had weak head gaskets
back in the 1970s.
And don't get me started on the 1990s SVX.

https://carfromjapan.com/article/industry-knowledge/the-history-of-subaru-head-gasket-problem/

The models that have this failed gasket problem are:

     Impreza (from 1999 to 2011)
     Forester (from 1999 to 2010)
     Legacy (from 2000 to 2009)
     Outback (from 2000 to 2009)
     Baja (from 2003 to 2006)

I wonder about parts availability too. I read on a forum, not too long back, about someone who was upset because their Subaru had a cracked oil pan - cast aluminum - and there were none available even in Japan. The vehicle was out of service until they could find something which was not proving to be easy.

RB