Last night about 11:30pm I was in bed waiting for the lights to go out.  Wife comes in as says there is a vehicle in our yard.  I quickly get dressed, grab a .45 and head out the door.  I flip on the porch light and garage lights.  By the time I got out there they were at the street attempting to pull out.  They then pull out and then sort of stopped in the road just past our main driveway.  I could hear what sounded like people yelling at each other I suppose.  They then left.  Upon checking the area, they had rutted up the yard from our secondary "driveway" that is over by the shop.  By driveway it is an entrance over the ditch but is just grass on our side.  We had a big storm the day before so the ground was very soft over there.

At first I thought maybe they were so morons who were trying to turn around over there and maybe got stuck.  The wife said it sounds like teens but from what I heard I am not sure if they were teens or not.  The road out there is pitch black at night and I would think it would have been very difficult to find this 2nd driveway of ours in the dark unless you knew it was there.  In fact it is not really all that accessible because when the county comes by and plows the road, they plow often cuts into this driveway on the road side causing a pretty good size hump to get up in it.  Wife thinks they had cased the place before because otherwise how would they have been able to find that driveway.

Whatever the vehicles was, I thought it was some sort of pickup with a camper shell maybe, wife said it was a small SUV but in any case the back glass was up on it the whole time.  Nothing seems to have been broken into or stolen as far as I can tell but I will be back out in a little bit to check.

I have several cars parked over by the shop/barn awaiting okie attention.  I have noticed hood ornaments missing on cars in the past but could never really remember if they were missing when the cars were parked there or not.  I need to go back and look at some old photos of a couple of these cars because I am pretty sure they did have the ornaments in place.  I did not know this was still a thing to steal them.

Anyway, when we first moved out here there was/is a street light on a power pole out in the middle of the yard.  With this on at night, I can pretty much see what is going on out back and over toward the barn/shop area from inside the house.  This was one of those deals that you paid $6 a month on your power bill for and it was maintained by them.  About 2-3 years ago I had the power company remove it from my account and they were supposed to have a crew remove it, but they never did.  About 6-8 months ago I noticed the light getting dim till now it just dimly glows and does not put off any light.  I like it because this is the country and I like it dark so I can see the stars or what not.  On the other hand I did like the light so I could keep an eye on things. I have been meaning to install some motion activated flood lights at various points around the properly, like a couple off the shop, maybe one off the barn, some on the back of the house etc.  I am now wondering if I should just have the street light added back to my account and have the power company replace it.  I really hate not being able to turn it off when I want.

I also need to install a deadbolt on the shop door.  It currently just has the handle lock.  I have locked my keys in there before and I am able to get the door open with a flathead screw driver in about 5 minutes or less so I am sure a thief could do the same.  I guess this is the project for today.

---
https://www.avg.com