Bearing failure or maintenance failure?
Most timing belt issues are maintenance failures, but I remember a friend of
mine complaining that her 87 Escort broke its belt at 35k miles and less than a
year of almost all freeway driving. Yes you're right, that's not normal, but
the warranty expired 23,000 miles ago so you're stuck. At least the 1.9L
Escorts weren't interference valve trains.
Mitch.