> She is of the opinion that salting roads is an ecological crime and if they
> do not salt her Alaska roads, the rest of the nation, especially in the
> radical liberal enclaves of the North East, salt has been banned.

They salt in Spokane.  They did not when I first moved here, but the EPA (!)
forced them to.
They used to sand, but that led to dust in the air.  Hence, sand was banned,
and salt was substituted.
Thus they traded the pitting of paint and glass for wholesale rotting of the
entire car.

Were it not for this salt I would still be driving my beloved Frankenheap in
the winter, but instead
_another_ car has to be procured, etc.  Wonder what the ecological impact is of
_making_ an
entire car that would otherwise not have been necessary?

Around here it looks to be brine, but we passed a rock salt truck on the
freeway on our
trip to Yakima this Thanksgiving.

-- Jim