So I am into my engine with the spring overhaul and am
suspicious now of my timing chain.   Seems to have
about 1/4'-ish inch of travel when I push my thumb
against it in the middle of the two timing gears (it
does srping back nicely)

Anyhow, none of the three mcparts manuals I have, go
into the process of actually testing this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the
procedure to check the timing chain "stretch"?

 I want to make sure there is a problem, before I try
and replace it.

Also, is it a tough job to swap a timing chain and
tensioner out?  Seems almost like it would be....

Thanks in advance!