With the right fuel they are not slow, where the diesel stops revving the M102 starts (3000-5000rpms is where it is happy). Some people do prefer the convenience of a petrol motor, less noise and no glow plugs.

Hendrik
hunting for a spare merc

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Berryman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] nice

On Mar 30, 2006, at 11:33 PM, Alex Chamberlain wrote:

Gotta be slow too with that gas engine and automatic.  Not slow in
a fun
slushbox-240D screaming-banshee clouds-of-carbon-smoke way,
either.  Why did
people go to the trouble of bringing cars over here that you
couldn't get
any other way back when gray-market imports were popular, and then
get them
in crummy configurations like this?  (I always asked myself the
same thing
back when I had a 280SLC.  Would have put a 5-speed in that one if
I hadn't
sold it.)

Its a pretty decent example of the model. Ch*p lamb recently picked
up a white one and got it pretty well sorted. As for why, that's an
easy one. Different strokes for different folks. There are folks that
think its ridiculous to own a diesel.
I kinda like the car.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am