If I had a conventional air handler I'd agree.
But my Unico air handler is a "high velocity" design that's supposed to output
higher temp air through 2 inch diameter ducts that mixes with room air.  The
new heat pump is a 3 ton 14 SEER Carrier unit (very simple).  The existing
(2005 vintage) air handler is rated at 3-3.5 tons and only the leaky coil (and
TXV) were replaced.  I am at the low end of the spec CFM range but I am within
the spec air flow range.  The blower speed is not adjustable but it has a
restrictor plate to throttle air flow.  This house was built in 1850 something
and there was no good way to retrofit  full size ducts so we went with this
oddball high velocity system.  It actually works well except in one room where
the mini ducts are too long.  The old R22 heat pump which was replaced was also
3 tons.