I wasn't aware that you are also a Mac man. I considered VPC when

But of course!  Since nearly day 1.  I looked at a PC XT when it came
out, but was so unimpressed with its lack of progress at the time, and
with it over time, that I never could make myself buy one.   Then the
Mac came out, and it was all over for me!  My first was a dual-floppy
128K Mac, which ended life with 1.5 MB and a SCSI interface.  My wife,
a graphic artist, is also a Mac maven.  In fact she was a Macophile
first, and was so good at training people to use Pagemaker that one of
her customers hired her as an artist.

I had nothing newer than an SE/30 or IIci (until my wife gave me a
7500 as a birthday present) because I'd bought a NeXT.  Once OS X
(OSX-STEP?) came out we scraped up this free G3, and my dad later
gave us a G4 mushroom iMac (which my wife uses).  I still use an
old Mac Portable for home finances, largely because it is both
portable and instant-on.  (Static RAM.)

looking for a home inspection report solution. I have heard that it
runs very slowly. What is your opinion of the speed? I can deal with
slow as long as its many times faster than pen and paper.

Anything that seems sluggish native will probably be too slow
emulated, but remember that I'm using a 233 MHz beige G3, not
the fastest thing out there!  I find it perfectly satisfactory
for what I need to use it for, and both the EPC and WIS seem to
operate acceptably.  Software installation has been absolutely
the worst thing, running it once it's in has been fine.

Of note is that IE emulated downloads nearly as fast as the native
Mac.  It's surprising, really.  I was getting 300+ kbytes/sec out
of it at one time.  Surfing with it, though functional, is painful.

-- Jim