The sensor for the dash temp gauge is a one-wire sensor, but it is
located on the side of the cylinder head between the glow plugs. If
original, it doesn't hurt to replace it, although usually when they go
bad they read low, not high. A new sensor is about $10-12 from Rusty.

The sensor you're seeing at the t-stat area is either for the EDS
(which I didn't think was used back in 1982) or it's a temp switch of
some sort. I haven't owned a W123 in a while and I forget what the
sensor up top is for.

:)

--
Dave M.