Yup. The only thing I will add to that, is that a ZDDP additive is probably a
wise addition to any oil used in pre-2007 diesel engines at this point.

Rick

          Original Message

From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: March 18, 2019 4:11 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: dillonm...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] M1 oel deals?

I think ya'll are wrong with this idea that thicker oil is better.  Vast
majority of engine wear normally happens immediately after a cold start.
Thick oil makes this worse.  Synthetic oil has far better flow
characteristics (see Curt's test of M1 vs. Dino in his freezer from years
ago) and helps in this case.

Oil is not only a lubricant but also plays a very important roll in cooling
the engine internals, and for cooling you want a high flow rate.  Thinner
oil will flow faster, provide better cooling.

0W-40 is the best of both worlds, for diesel.  I use 0W-30 in SWMBO's
Infiniti gasser motor.  That is at over 250k miles and doesn't burn a drop.

See Bob is the Oil Guy website, read up on the Oil 101 info.