> > I bet most of us here made some manner of Heathkit something at some
> point in our lives.

I built many Heathkits but the two memorable ones were:
   1. Color TV (circa 1969).  Couldn't afford a real (off the shelf ) color TV
back then on 2Lt pay.
   2. IBM PC clone (circa 1985).  Real PCs were expensive then.  Did most of my
PhD work on that box.

These days I can buy a new (or nearly new refurb) PC for a small fraction of
the cost of those old Heathkits.  Great for me but recent generations of kids
never seem to get this kind of hands-on experience.  I understand that many
schools even discontinued vocational classes.  Sad.