To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300td timing chain issues

Thanks for the encouragement. I've done quit a bit of riveting/peening too. Maybe I will try it when the chains get up to 5 degrees. I'll bet you were making a bowl out of a flat sheet of aluminum in Jr. High shop, weren't you?
(grin)
GerryA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Faeth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It rivets the head.  Having grown up riveting knives on sickle bars and
riveting other things, I rivet the new style with a small ball peen
hammer.  I am old enough that i spent Jr. High shop peening aluminum,
thereby having a first hand knowledge of how the hammer gets its name.  I
guess there were people who were not careful enough to get the clip
snapped
in properly, so the master link has been officially banned.  I did them
for
years and never had one come apart, but i always checked my work to be
sure
the clip was clipped correctly, since it is critical.

Since you also worked on OM 621 engines, I am sure you can rivet the link
without the special tool.

Loren