crypler/fiat was smart enough to contract with cummins.   Frod contracted with IH, then bastardized it to remove some of the IH reliability.  Then decided to kick NavistarIH and build their own POS.   Shovey built their own POS. It gradually got refined until it was no longer a complete disaster. Then they decided since they owned isuzi, they should let the folks that knew how to copy German Diesels make them an engine.

Seems to me that crypsler and now fiat is the only one that got it right and stayed there.   But yes, the cummins engone is NOT made by crypsler.

I always thought the 4 cyl (or a 5 cyl) version of the IH/Navistar DT466 engine would make a great light/medium truck engine.  But even though they prevented the tractor folks from building the German designed engines, Navistar never built any but the 6 cyl.