In my 84 300D, I could work a huge socket (22mm) onto the crankshaft and

27mm, IIRC.  22mm is the PS pump, usually a fine alternative for
turning the engine over.

turn it by hand. Now, there's a fan shroud in the way, at the minimum. Is
there an easier way to turn the engine?

See above!  But working the wrench onto the crank nut is best
because you can work it while lying under the car looking for
the TC drain plug.

Also, since I can't start the car right now, which way does the engine turn?

Clockwise, when standing in front of it.  (Hint: look at fan blades.
They work _with_ the prevailing wind through the engine compartment.)

-- Jim