Weldments and threaded fasteners (nuts) were present in the cars since the
early 1960s. My 1962 300SE had the nuts in place with rubber plugs in them on
the floor and “B” pillar.  Belts were optional until the early 60s, I think.
Certainly by 1968 they were standard. Someone may have removed yours.

-D