I did a few PEX joints and I used those copper bands that get compressed over
the PEX joint by a special crimping tool like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimping-Suitable-Sharkbite-Standards/dp/B0759GM5NL
The tool cost more back then and the jaws were held in by set screws.  Never
had a leak.

Also, I had better luck with Teflon tape than the liquids.  I had one really
bad hydraulic connection (3000 psi) that blew out the liquid seal every time
but the tape did the job.