Having lived at an earlier time when ALL men wore hats, and removed them at
the door, I offer this observation of modern culture.
At the earlier time, every place you went into had hat racks, so you could
"park your hat" while doing business.

Segway forward to modern era, and look for a place to "hang your hat"....
they don't exist.
Further, dining tables are now very landscape challenged. There is no place
to lay your hat and eat a meal. Thus, I posit the culture adapted to the
conditions imposed and shifted to keeping your hat parked on your head...
hair or not.

Living in Arizona, where we have 363 days each year of full sun, I always
wear a palm leaf wide brim hat [the only good ones are hand made in
Guatemala] . I own several, all the same, and I wear one even if I go to
the mail box even though I have a full head of hair. In fact, gave one to
my dermatologist, which he loves.

The hats take up a lot of landscape [20 inches brim to brim], if you try to
park them in a restaurant, so I always eat with my hat on...
Unless there is a hat check valet...;))