There are enough laws on the books now so that everyone is "guilty" of something.   That is how "we" can deal with "enemies of the State"   If we like someone, as WJC liked JE, so long as WJC is in power and in favor, JE is protected. Once WJC is out of power and out of favor, then JE is rounded up and sent to prison.  (In theory, to await trial)

If you've read Dr. Zhivago to understand how the takeover is accomplished, then read about how lenin dealt with his buddies, the "heros of the revolution."   One of whom was "Pasha" in Dr Z.