Andrew S. wrote:<< it stalls with a cold engine).>>

Howdy -
My '78 240D has a knob on the dash which advances the IP somewhat for cold starting (at least that's what I think it's doing) and once the engine is running smoothly, the knob is turned back putting the IP timing at its proper place.

How do the newer diesels accomplish this? I assume there's some sort of automatic IP Advance but haven't run across it on the mechanical diagrams (but I haven't really looked). Is that a correct assumption??

Also, if the "advance" (if that's the proper term for it) is not working on the newer cars without a knob, will that be the cause of poor running while cold? How is it lubricated/serviced?

TIA -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info