Yes, mainly negatives to positives.

A few hints -- use an LED floodlight for a light source.  Reasonably
collumated, so it reduces flare at the edges a little, and you can try various
color balance ones to reduce the fiddling when inverting.

Shoot in RAW and use Nikon conversion software to convert to TIFF -- you can
adjust color balance, etc.  Leave in TIFF flormat with extra space below and
above actual image data if you are going into PS or similar, you want a raw
file going in.

You will have to find the correct exposure to get a good inverted image, what
looks "good" as a negative can be terrible once inverted.  Dark negatives make
light positives and vice versa.  Contrast can't really be controlled at this
point other than to use a condenser light source rather than and LED flood to
push it up a bit.

Use a 90mm macro lens and a very rigid setup.  Vivitar Series 1 from the
70s/80s would be perfect as they had a flatter field and better corner
performance than Nikon or Pentax macros of similar focal length.  The better
the lens the better the results, obviously.

I pull the raw TIFF file into Photoshop, invert, then use levels to "trim" the
red, blue, and green channels down to the actual image values.  Some channels
look very "thin", but this works.  Adjust the neutral point in each channel to
correct colors.  This should get you a very close color balance, although it
will usually look flat.

Go to "hue and saturation" in Adjustments and push up the saturation to suit --
I usually need a pretty good increase from movie film, standard negatives need
less, but I find I need some most of the time.

Then I adjust contrast/brightness, then color balance.

If the negative was decent to start with this works pretty well.