Cars have become appliances that you toss out once the ash tray is full.  My
personal vote would be for something old and simple that most any idiot at a
repair place can fix without computers.  That speaks to being reliable, though
it might take some attention to keep it on the road.  The new stuff is all just
a video game computer that interferes with the ability of the vehicle to run
should some errant bit of code get unhappy.

The opportunity to find a simple New car is limited by his location in the
vacant oil field town in ND. Pretty much only the big three, one of which sells
honda cars.  He would have to visit a larger town two hours away to access the
other imports.  Then there would be the need to find qualified mechanic in
town, should something go wrong.

I really like the space afforded by the cars of the 60’s and 70’s.  Terrible
fuel usage, but … soooo much room.

clay